Friday, February 19, 2010

A Plan

It's been a few days since we posted an update, but now there is more information to share.

After meeting with two surgeons, I decided on the first one we met. She is wonderful and I feel very comfortable with her. After much deliberation with myself, I decided to go with a lumpectomy and an axillary dissection to begin the process. This means she will be taking out the cancer from my breast as well as the lymphnode that also has cancer. She will also remove several lymphnodes from under the arm to test and see if any others have cancer. By doing this she can determine what stage the cancer is. She will also be putting in a port on the other side of my chest to be used later to administer the chemotherapy.

Surgery is planned for this Thursday, February 25th at 8am. It should take about 3 hours total time. I will be in the hospital overnight and will hopefully be home on Friday the 26th.

We met with an oncologist and radation oncologist yesterday which was very helpful in understanding treatment options after recovering from the surgery (takes about 2 weeks or so). After recovery I will begin chemotherapy for about 4 - 5 months and then radiation for 5 weeks following that. During this time I will have the opportunity to decide what I will do long term depending on results of genetic testing and other considerations. In the meantime, we are getting the cancer out and this buys me time to make some other difficult decisions.

I am so thankful to all my family and friends who have been by my side throughout all of this. It feels good to have so many wonderful people rooting for me. Thank you for checking in and for caring so much...

Much love to everyone!

Michelle

7 comments:

  1. Howard - thanks for keeping us all up to date on these events with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle & Howard,

    Our prayers will be with both of you. Appreciate being able to get information directly from you. Anything we can do to help we will be here for you.

    Love, Aunt Betty & Uncle Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle and family, I'm glad there is a plan and you are moving forward; step one! Anything you need, just let me know; there is an army of people prepared to help. Good luck, I'm sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle and Howard,

    I am praying for you and the girls.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. we love you michelle and are praying for you every day!
    xoxoxo zak + emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you navigate this path. I hope that the surgery on Thursday goes well and that your recovery is speedy. You can beat this for sure! Love and Hugs, Your Long Lost Colorado Cousin (sort of!)

    Carrie Pinsky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle & Howard,

    Our prayers will be with you tomorrow during your surgery. I'm sure Terry will let us know how you are doing. Give my two girl's a hug from their Aunt Betty.

    Love you Guys!

    ReplyDelete